Tuesday, March 10, 2009

An Ivy I.V.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to take pics of government buildings. The hospital happens to be one such place. I understand... while not completely in the sticks, its no Bumrungrad (5 star hosp. in Bangkok). I drove a friend and his son to the hosp. today to pick up a new baby. We sat in what I assumed to be the maternity ward until a gurney came screeching around the corner with a man on it and several nurses yelling at me to get out of the way. We found some seats and of course, as always happens, everyone in the -(apparently open commons area of maybe several wards ...) shifted in their plastic seats to stare at us. I started to engage the 5 year old by telling him stories of me going mud slidding in Peru when I was a little girl and playing mud soccer because I figured it would keep his attention (and it did!) while his daddy was talking with nurses.... The problem was that all my hand motions and drama (meant for the 5 year old) drew everyone elses attention as well and within minutes several gmas and the babies they were watching were parked right next to us. They didnt care about my story or that I wasnt finished, and they started poking at the poor little boy and jabbering away about us being foreigners.... he did great and said 'hello' in Lao 800 times very patiently. Good on him!

Then, the tike and I realized that the gmas were at hospital watching their little grandbabies who were sick. While I thought they were visiting and sitting in strollers, I realized and pointed out that they all had IV's and bandages etc... The little girl closest to us was 2, and gma said she had the 'runs' big time and was dehydrated. Her IV was actually attached to a huge, knotted stick, leaves and all, with a groove carved out of the top for the bag to hang from. It was stuck in the back of her stroller. I mentioned to her gma that she might want to change the 'runs' since, as she had no diaper on, it was oozing out the side of her leg. Poor baby! Another little girl had an IV and was walking around with a proper pole, and the IV in her hand was held in place by a huge piece of folded up cardboard and tape. I was shocked by the Ivy IV, but I guess as long as the stuff inside doesnt get out or contaminated its no big deal right? Just hold it really... Last week we were heading to a friends house late at night and it was in the dustiest, poorest part of town (well, if there is a poorest part).. and some guy was riding his motor bike across the street in front of me with an IV above his head... whatever!

:) Im pretty sure it wouldnt even matter how long I lived here.. Id head to Bumrungrad..

No comments: