Monday, November 24, 2008

Refreshing the Song in My Heart..... & Isaak



Psalm 40 1-4


I waited patiently for the Lord;
He inclined to me and heard my cry
He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the miry bog
and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
HE put a New Song in my mouth,
a song of Praise to Our God.
Many will see and fear,
and put their trust in the Lord.
Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust,
who does not turn to the proud
to those who go astray after a Lie!

I love that its Thanksgiving season. I love that Thanksgiving is at the end of the year, probably because its just a convenient time to reflect on all thats been. I was not reflecting on this verse until now, but am grateful Father brought it before me. I will tell you why below. In spending time with the boys of late, we have been discussing the economic crisis that is slowly overtaking the world. Some places are feeling it a little more than others. We recognize that while we feel it a bit here and there, it could get worse as supporters struggle and work to survive where they are. I was reminding the boys that King David had written how in his lifetime, he had never seen the Righteous Ones of God forsaken. We ask for our 'Daily Bread', not give us this day 'the cool stuff we need and want'. The boys were very receptive to this and acknowledged that God has indeed taken care of our provisions as we have had need of them and that they would walk through the holiday season expectant of God to be faithful, not Santa.


As I took the next day or two reflecting on how God has been so good and kind, I saw clearly that there is a definate path He wants us on and He graciously goes before us to see us through. (including economic crisis) Of course we 'know' this, but do we 'see' that road as such? Can we visualize the events and circumstances that he orquestrates so perfectly?


Its been a WILD year for us here in Just this.. God has moved, we have followed, BUT NOT always understanding....it is sometimes pouting and arguing... Then later, understanding. I hate that I do that.


Yesterday (Monday), I took Isaak to Udon Thani to have some bruises on his body checked out. He had been bruising quite easily and although its normal for boys, there were some that were huge with knots in them, in odd places, and he couldnt remember HOW he had gotten them. The not remembering bothered me. I hunted on line and figured it was one of two or three possibilities and got myself mentally prepared. I really did know it was NotLeukemia (plus, what are the chances!) but I will say I had this just 'sick' sort of feeling in my gut. I was a bit shaky and talking myself through all sorts of scenarios.


We saw Dr. Kittisak. He was the Dr. who diagnosed Hudson now 5 years ago with ALL. He listened to me describe the bruising and said 'Your family struggles with things like this yes?'. I said, 'Well, I know it isnt Leuk, but I do think its potentially ITP or hemophilia and I would like to have some lab work done'. He said hemophilia was hereditary which I was grateful to learn and we crossed that off our list.


Lab was back in a couple hours and did clarify that Isaak has ITP. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Basically, he has antibodies in his blood that are killing his platlets. It is idiopathic because the reason for its showing up and a cure are unknown. While it cures itself in time, there are treatments to help it along. It will go away anywhere from weeks to a year. Our biggest cautions need to be the next 2 weeks while he is on steroids to kill the antibodies that are blocking the platlets. While the antibodies will be dying, so will his immune system which leaves room for potential infection and sickness. With all the wild things going on around here including huge bouts of dengue and such, we have to pay attention. Also, no head trauma as internal brain bleeding is the most dangerous (yet, very rare) factor.


Ok, so dejavu DID hit.. in FULL force. Same Dr, same hospital, same lab, even more blood disorders and same steroid usage... but, WHY? If it is cureable, practically on its own, why even go through this? Why would G let something like this filter through? I mean, its not like we are beyond needing to deal with faith and walk through fear again, but the same Type of thing seems odd.. why not a new lesson or different issue altogether. :)


In a weird sense, it brought me back to Thankfulness... back to recognizing he plots our way carefully and over the past many years has Soundly put a New song in our mouth....


He HAS heard my cry, he Has lifted me up from the miry clay (again and again), he HAS made each step secure and set us upon a Rock... we DO trust in the Lord and refuse to believe a lie.


In all of this, I rejoice in the past... in all our good Father has done for us. I take ahold of this new challenge in gratefulness for its simplicity first of all, and then uphold it as a reminder of Yes!!! I Still believe, I still Sing a song of Praise to my Redeemer and Healer and Banner.


Pray with us that Isaak specifically, would receive whatever this looks like, with a Song in his mouth. We again proclaim, 'God is good, all the time, all the time, God is good!'


Happy Thanksgiving my friends.


Jen


1 comment:

Melanie Thompson said...

Hi, Jenny and family,
I am Melanie Thompson; you may know my father-in-law and mother-in-law from Christ is King in Norfolk--Larry and Barb Thompson. I am married to their son, Dean. Maureen sent me the email with your prayer request for Isaak and I wanted to get ahold of you. My oldest daughter, Dana, now 13 was diagnosed with ITP 4 1/2 years ago. I don't really want to post much else here as it is all rather personal, but I'd really like to hear from you and give you a link for an online support group for parents of kids with ITP. I know that you've gone through a similar roller coaster ride with Hudson, but hopefully this won't be such a scare!! Please email me at pigsnfish@mmctsu.com . Thanks!
Melanie